If you suffer from allergies or asthma, you must be very careful about the indoor environment. You must know that a build-up of dirt, debris, mold, or germs in your HVAC system can contaminate the indoor air. When these particles invade the ductwork, dust and germs circulate into the air. No matter how much you clean your home, you will see no difference. Fortunately, duct cleaning works for better air quality and safeguards your HVAC system.
Why Is Indoor Air Quality Important?
When harsh weather strikes in Georgia, we are forced to stay indoors to protect ourselves from unsafe elements. Considering the current situation, when the whole world is locked down due to the pandemic, we spend most of our time indoors. This means the indoor environment plays a vital role in our health and wellbeing.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the indoor environment can be two to five times more unclean than the outdoor. Especially in peak winters when the fresh outside air is not allowed to enter, as people and pets spend time indoors, the air quality deteriorates.
An HVAC unit functions as the lungs of your home. The system sucks in air from the outside and throws back conditioned air. The regular home tasks in a home produce plenty of contaminants and pollutants. These aerial particles are sucked into the HVAC unit and re-circulated almost five to seven times each day. With time, this re-circulation leads to a build-up of dust, dirt, and contaminants in the HVAC air ducts.
These filthy ductworks may lead to major health issues or harbor germs that may cause critical issues for people with respiratory illness, autoimmune disorders, or environmental allergies.
The common contaminants include dust mites, dirt, debris, pollen, mold, bacteria, viruses like COVID-19, and chemicals.
Duct Cleaning and Better Air Quality
When we talk about dirty air ducts impacting our health, prevention is the best approach. How you maintain your ductwork can directly influence the contaminant level of air. It can also diminish the need for expensive system repairs. Annual HVAC maintenance, when performed professionally, is highly beneficial for the internal air of your home and the prolonged lifespan of your Air Conditioning units.
Ductwork cleaning can incredibly improve your indoor environment by diminishing the number of aerial pollutants that are contaminating your home. You must know that dust, dirt, pollen, and mold particles lurk around your home’s HVAC ducts. When you turn on your heating and cooling units, these particles settle in the air ducts and get mixed in the processed air. So, when you breathe, these hazardous particles enter your body, resulting in compromised health.
Hence, getting your ductworks cleaned regularly is crucial to maintaining a healthy indoor environment. A musty odor, unusual sounds, excessive dust, unexplained allergic reactions, or asthma attacks can be evident signs of polluted ductworks. Hence, whenever you observe any of these signs, you should immediately contact Air Duct Cleaning in Norcross and schedule a maintenance check-up.
Importance of Clean Air Ducts
Apart from the air that you allow into your home through doors and windows, most of the air is circulated through the HVAC ducts. If the path that takes in the air is filthy, your air gets loaded with irritants and germs. Hence, it will destroy all your cleaning and vacuuming as all home surfaces will be lined up with dirt. Also, your HVAC air filter, ducts, and coils will be mucked up. If you ignore regular HVAC cleaning and maintenance, the build-up worsens, decreasing the system efficiency and raising the energy bills. Hence, experts recommend hiring professionals for proper air duct cleaning every season.
When you have clean ducts, you enjoy the following benefits:
- Diminish the possibility of allergies and respiratory triggers
- Your ducts are clean of any build-up or pest infestation, and you enjoy a high air quality.
- Sanitized ducts are efficient at fighting mold and contaminants growth
- If any family member is suffering from a viral disease like COVID-19, clean ducts will reduce the possibility of its spread.
- A build-up of mold, mildew, bacteria, and pests can cause nasty smells, leading to headaches and nausea. Clean ducts ensure that your health and wellbeing are not compromised.
- Clean ductwork improves the efficiency of an HVAC system by 40%.
- When your ducts are cleaned, the system works smoothly, which decreases the chance of costly repairs and enhances the system lifespan.
When is Ductwork Cleaning Important?
Clean ducts ensure a healthy environment. People who have asthma, allergies, or other underlining health issues are much safer. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), you should get your HVAC ducts cleaned when:
- You observe clear mold growth signs, which may result due to water damages in buildings.
- If your home is being renovated, your HVAC functions. The dusty air will surely lead to duct blockage. So, your HVAC requires professional cleaning.
- If you see pet dander, excessive dust, cobwebs, hair, or other types of debris flowing out of the system, you must immediately call a professional.
- A blockage of debris in your ductwork will offer a medium for growth to the microorganisms which get suspended in the air through ducts. If you feel a change in indoor air, restricted airflow, or decreased efficiency, you must call a professional.
- If your ducts are pest-ridden, you should seek the help of a professional for duct cleaning and disinfecting.
Can I Clean HVAC Ducts Myself?
Oral cleaning of the HVAC system can be performed by a non-professional. But when it comes to dealing with a pest invasion, mold growth, or ductwork blockage, professional assistance is needed.
You must understand that proper ductwork cleaning and sanitization requires the use of endorsed chemicals. For remarkable results, the type of chemical is determined by the debris found in your system.
Hence, it would help if you always looked for a qualified technician to determine your HVAC maintenance needs. These professionals also use specialized equipment and know effective techniques to clean the system. An expert cleans the ducts and other components of the system to ensure excellent results so that you can enjoy the flawless performance of your heating and cooling system and a healthy environment.
If you call professional HVAC contractors for system maintenance, they may also offer other services like Dryer Vent Cleaning in Norcross.